What Aloe Vera Does To Your Body: Why The Egyptians Called it The Plant of Immortality

What Aloe Vera Does To Your Body: Why The Egyptians Called it The Plant of Immortality

Aloe vera, a succulent plant known for its healing properties, has been revered for centuries. The ancient Egyptians famously referred to it as the "Plant of Immortality" due to its remarkable health benefits and therapeutic uses. While it may not grant immortality, aloe vera indeed offers a multitude of benefits for your body, both inside and out. In this article, we will explore the diverse ways aloe vera can positively impact your health and why it earned such a prestigious title in history.


A Brief History of Aloe Vera

Aloe vera's history dates back thousands of years. Its use can be traced to various ancient civilizations, including the Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans. Among these cultures, the Egyptians had a particular affinity for aloe vera, considering it a sacred plant with profound healing qualities.


The Egyptian queen Cleopatra and the legendary beauty Nefertiti are said to have used aloe vera as a part of their skincare routines. Additionally, aloe vera was often buried alongside pharaohs as an offering to the gods and a symbol of resurrection.


The Nutritional Composition of Aloe Vera

Aloe vera is primarily composed of water, making up about 99% of its gel-like substance. The remaining 1% is a powerful combination of over 200 biologically active compounds, including vitamins, minerals, enzymes, amino acids, and polysaccharides. Some of the key nutrients found in aloe vera include:

  1. Vitamins: Aloe vera contains vitamins A, C, and E, which are known for their antioxidant properties. These vitamins help protect the body against free radicals, reducing the risk of chronic diseases and supporting healthy skin.

  2. Minerals: Aloe vera is a source of essential minerals like calcium, magnesium, and zinc, which contribute to overall health, bone strength, and immune function.

  3. Enzymes: The plant contains enzymes such as amylase and lipase, which aid in digestion and promote nutrient absorption.

  4. Amino Acids: Aloe vera provides several of the 20 amino acids needed for protein synthesis. These amino acids play a role in various bodily functions, including muscle repair and immune support.

  5. Polysaccharides: Aloe vera's polysaccharides have anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting effects, which can help combat a range of health issues.


The Healing Properties of Aloe Vera

  1. Skin Health: Aloe vera is renowned for its ability to soothe and heal the skin. It can alleviate sunburn, reduce inflammation, and promote wound healing. The gel can also be used to treat conditions like psoriasis, eczema, and acne, thanks to its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.

  2. Digestive Health: Aloe vera juice has been used to aid digestion and alleviate digestive discomfort. It can help with issues such as constipation, acid reflux, and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) due to its laxative and anti-inflammatory properties.

  3. Immune Support: Aloe vera's polysaccharides are known to stimulate the immune system, helping the body fight off infections and illnesses more effectively.

  4. Oral Health: Aloe vera can be found in some natural toothpaste and mouthwash products. It is believed to reduce plaque buildup, alleviate gum inflammation, and promote overall oral health.

  5. Detoxification: Aloe vera has natural detoxifying properties that can aid in cleansing the digestive system and removing toxins from the body.



While aloe vera may not bestow immortality, its remarkable health benefits and historical significance as the "Plant of Immortality" cannot be denied. This versatile plant offers a wide range of healing properties, from soothing skin ailments to supporting digestive health and immune function. Incorporating aloe vera into your daily routine, whether through topical application or consumption, can be a natural and effective way to enhance your overall well-being, just as it has for countless individuals throughout history.

Add Comments