The Color of Your Urine Is a Health – Indicator

The Color of Your Urine Is a Health – Indicator

Your urine's consistency, color, and odor can give you a good idea of what is going on with your body and can show you whether you are healthy or whether your body is dealing with a problem.


Urine contains at least 95% water, but the remaining 5% also contains various substances like sodium, chloride, urea, and creatinine. Urobilin, a waste product of the old red cells, is the ingredient that gives the urine its yellowish tone and causes the color.


Take a look at this list of urine color, and see what they all mean.


Colorless urine indicates that your body is overly hydrated which is not a bad thing that you need to concern about, but it’s slightly not balanced. Overhydration can dilute the essential salts in your body and can create chemical balance in your blood.



You have well hydrated and normal urine and you have nothing to worry about. Your health is absolutely fine!


If the color of your urine is yellow, it’s still a good sign that your body is balanced. You are hydrated and your abdomen is perfectly working.



If your urine appears to be dark yellow, it’s a sign that you don’t drink enough water and your body is mildly dehydrated. Lower the meal intakes a bit (make the portions a little bit smaller) so you can add more water into your diet.


This means that your body is dehydrated. According to Dena Rifkin MD, a staff nephrologist at UC San Diego Health, getting your urine checked for dehydration is one of the worst things you could do. She states that she wouldn’t recommend hydrating her patients more just according to the urine color, because sometimes it can be misleading. But if you know that you don’t have enough water intakes, it’s time to change that.



If your urine is red, you might be needing to check it to the urologist because this can be a concerning sign. Blood in the urine is called hematuria, and in some cases it can be benign, but in others it can be a sign of infection, kidney disease, kidney stones or a tumor in the urinary tract. It also can be a signal for problems with the prostate. Check the doctor.


This is a very rare condition, the metabolic disorder familial hypercalcemia (blue diaper syndrome) can create a blue color in your urine, or if you use blue food coloring, food coloring will also show up in your urine too. The blue diaper syndrome is when there is an incomplete intestinal breakdown of tryptophan, which is a dietary nutrient. If your urine appears blue, contact a physician.


The potential causes of dark brown and even black urine that you should really worry about are copper poisoning or melanoma. Whatever the case may be, this is a stage when you should really consult your doctor.


Add Comments